Review: Lékué Silicone Bagel Moulds from Lakeland.
I love bread! I mean, I really, really love bread. So much so, I’ve resisted buying an electronic breadmaker for years because I’m worried I’d overdose on the stuff. Naan bread, pitta bread, garlic bread (why do I always say it in my head in a ‘Peter Kay’s dad’ kind of way?), eggy bread (northern delicacy!)…I’m a bit of a bread addict. No wonder I was excited when the folks at Lakeland sent me a set of 6 Lékué Silicone Bagel Moulds to review.
Lékué is a Barcelona-based company, whose innovative products are designed to simplify the cooking and baking process by embracing new materials and technology so people can get the most out of their ovens and microwaves. Lékué silicone bagel moulds are just one of their creative solutions. They’re designed to give you optimum results every time, without a soggy bottom in sight, thanks to the tiny perforations in the mould base to let excess moisture drain away.
I put the Lékué silicone bagel moulds to the test, with Youngest’s help, to see if I really can make bagels effortlessly in my own kitchen.
Lékué Silicone bagel moulds come in a set of 6 and currently cost £17.99 from Lakeland (HERE). The moulds are made from non-stick, oven-safe silicone, and have a central spike to make it easy to create a uniform hole in each ball of dough. The spike also acts as a convenient handle for safely dipping the dough in and out of boiling water (essential for that authentic texture), whilst the tiny perforations in the base let the excess moisture drain away to help ensure a crispy finish to your bagel.
The bagel mould set comes with an instruction manual, basic bagel recipe and ideas for alternative toppings (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, crushed oats, cinnamon, sugar) and additional ingredients such as (spinach, dried tomatoes, raisins).
To be honest, when the blurb on the Lakeland website claimed Lékué Silicone Bagel Moulds would give me optimal results every time, I expected the box to contain something more substantial than six little perforated witches hats! Could something that looks so simple really turn me into a ‘Star Baker’?
Let’s find out!
Using Lékué silicone bagel moulds.
We followed the basic bagel dough recipe detailed in the instruction book and left the dough to ‘proof’ for 40 minutes. Rather than describing how we made the dough, I’m going to jump straight in with details of how to use the Lékué Bagel Moulds. I will say, however, that I wish recipes wouldn’t give quantities in ‘cups’! I much prefer to measure in millilitres and grams…Mainly because I’ve not got a ‘cup’ measure – told you I’m not a baker!
1. Forming the bagels. After the dough has proofed, divide it into 6 balls of approximately 70g, shape them into balls and ‘skewer’ them onto the bagel moulds (see below).
Leave to stand for 20 minutes (we completely forgot to do this! They’d probably been left for half that time whilst we cleared away the dirty pots and pans and brought a pan of water to the boil. It didn’t spoil our finished bagels, though).
2. Boiling the bagels. Set up a baking sheet with a cooling rack and boil water in a large pan containing 1 teaspoon of baking soda. When the water is boiling, holding the bagel moulds by their spike, submerge the bagels in the water for 8-10 seconds. Place the boiled bagels on the cooling rack. When all of the bagels are boiled and the excess moisture has drained away, place the bagels directly onto a baking tray/sheet.
3. Personalise your bagels. Add your favourite bagel toppings. We used sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
4. Baking. Bake the bagels in their moulds for 15 minutes at 395℃ until they’re golden brown. We placed our bagels back on the cooling rack and when they’d cooled, we removed the moulds.
Look at the results! Don’t they look delicious? Believe me, they taste delicious too.
5. Fill ’em up! Split your bagels, (toast them if you like), then fill them with your favourite fillings and enjoy!
Lékué silicone bagel moulds: The verdict.
Lékué silicone bagel moulds may look simple, but they really do work! Unlike my eldest, I’m not very good at baking, but Youngest and I managed to make perfectly golden, crispy bagels on our first attempt and had great fun in the process! Youngest loved dipping the bagels in and out of the boiling water and she enjoyed sprinkling them with poppy seeds and sesame seeds prior to baking.
If you’re a bread lover like me but thought bagel making was strictly for the professionals, you need to get your hands on these ingenious little bagel moulds. They really do enable you to make delicious bagels in your kitchen. Plus, at only £17.99 from Lakeland for a set of six, they’re good value too.
Win a Lékué Silicone Bread Maker worth £19.99.
There is a range of Lékué products on the Lakeland website, including the Lékué Silicone Bread Maker, worth £19.99. For your chance to win one of these fabulous bread makers, simply enter the Rafflecopter Giveaway below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Competition terms and conditions:
1. There is one Lékué Silicone Bread Maker available for one winner.
2. This prize draw will be drawn at random, and is open to entrants aged 18 or over residing in the UK.
3. Up to 6 entries per person. All are compulsory methods of entry.
4. Maflingo.com retains the right to change the competition if necessary.
5. The prize is not transferable and there is no cash alternative.
6. If the winners do not contact me within one week, I will redraw another winner at random.
7. Entries must be received by 11.59pm on 19th November 2017.
8. The winners will be chosen at random and notified by email on 20th November 2017.
To find out more about the Lékué range, Visit Lakeland : HERE.
Lakeland provided me with the Lékué products for the purposes of this review. As always, the views and opinions expressed here are my own honest assessment.
This competition is listed on the loquax.com website.