Recipe: How to make homemade dog biscuits.
In an earlier post, I told you about our wonderful BorrowMyDoggy experience with Kubo the Cairn Terrier (If you can’t have a doggy of your own, why not BorrowMyDoggy?
One of the first things we did for Kubo was to make him some homemade dog biscuits. He absolutely loves them, so we always make sure we have some on hand when we borrow him.
Homemade Dog biscuits.
Dog biscuits are so quick and easy to make. We used a bone-shaped cookie cutter and even personalised the biscuits with Kubo’s name using a stamp set.
The great thing about making homemade treats for your dog is that it gives you some control over what they eat. Plus, these wholesome snacks don’t contain the additives and preservatives found in some commercial dog biscuits. As well as the option of adding in tasty ingredients like chicken, bacon and cheese, you can also adapt the basic biscuit recipe to cater for any dietary restrictions your dog may have.
How to make homemade dog biscuits.
If you want to make personalised bone shaped dog biscuits like ours, you can pick them up for a few pounds from eBay or Amazon:
- Dog bone cookie cutter. You can pick these up from Amazon for less than £1 including postage (HERE)
- Alphabet cookie and biscuit stamp embosser/cutter. Try the SwirlColor set from Amazon (HERE).
- 350g (approximately 2 1/2 cups) wholewheat flour (substitute spelt flour, rye flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat).
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1 egg.
- 1 teaspoon beef or chicken bouillon granules (you can substitute beef, chicken or vegetable broth or stock)
- 1/4 pint (approximately 1/2 cup) hot water.
Optional: for an extra treat, add bacon bits, shredded cheese or shredded chicken.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F
2. Add 350g wholemeal flour to a mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve bouillon granules in hot water and add to the flour, along with the salt and egg.
4. Knead the dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes).
5. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/2 inch thick.
6. Cut it into shapes using a bone (or other suitable) cutter, stamping the dough shapes with the dog’s name, if desired.
7. Place the dough shapes on a lightly greased baking sheet.
8. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
That’s all there is to it! Now you have tasty homemade treats for your pet pooch.
How to make homemade dog biscuits video.
Over to you.
Homemade dog biscuits are a quick and easy recipe to make and kids will love making them too. Personalised dog biscuits make great gifts for dog owners, especially if you put them into a decorated ‘doggy bag’ or box.
Pin for later: